After receiving a ticket, some people may decide to plead guilty and accept the consequences rather than deal with the hassle of going to court and fighting. While this choice may seem convenient, it could also be the most expensive decision and lead to devastating consequences. Here are a few reasons why you should consider hiring an attorney to contest your traffic ticket the next time you are stopped for a traffic infraction:
- You may be giving up defenses you are unaware of
- Anytime a driver is issued a ticket they are entitled to many of the same rights and defenses as those who are accused of a crime. By pleading guilty you are giving up all of these rights and defenses which may help reduce the severity of the ticket or in some cases have it dismissed entirely. It is important whenever you receive a ticket to plead not guilty and consult with an experienced traffic attorney to determine how to proceed with your case.
- Your attorney may be able to handle your ticket without you having to go to court
- Avoiding a day in traffic court may be reason enough to plead guilty. Traffic courts usually meet during normal working hours requiring people to take off work and wait for hours to have their case heard. Some courts allow attorneys to handle traffic tickets on behalf of their clients without requiring the client’s presence. You should speak with an experienced traffic attorney to determine if they can handle your ticket without you having to go to court.
- You could reduce the number of points you receive
- Points can have severe consequences including raising insurance premiums and possible license suspension. The more severe your violation, the more points you get on your license. By contesting your traffic ticket, you may be able to get the points reduced or the infraction changed to a no point violation.
- You could avoid additional fees
- Getting a certain number of points on your license may also result in extra fees being tacked onto your ticket in the form of “Driver Responsibility Assessment Fee.” These fees can increase the total cost of your ticket by adding on periodic fees owed to the DMV. By contesting your ticket, you may potentially avoid these extra fees, further reducing the cost you must bear for the ticket.
- You could limit the risk of having your license suspended
- Certain traffic offenses may not only result in fines, fees, or points, but also potentially risk the suspension of your license. In addition, if you get 11 or more points on your license in an 18-month period, your license may be suspended. Certain traffic infractions may be considered “serious driving offenses” by the DMV which may have consequences in the future. Contesting your traffic ticket may limit these risks, ensuring you retain the right to legally drive.
Fox Law Firm, PLLC is a New York traffic and criminal law practice serving clients throughout Nassau and Suffolk counties. With more than three decades of legal experience, attorneys at The Fox Law Firm help clients in traffic cases defend themselves and protect their rights. For more information or to ask for a consultation, call our Riverhead office at 631-779-3400 or visit our contact page for more information.