Experienced Long Island drunk driving defense lawyers assert your rights
A conviction for drunk driving can affect you long into the future. While jail time, fines and driver license suspensions disrupt your life in the short term, a criminal record can carry long-lasting consequences, limiting your employment prospects and driving privileges. The Long Island DWI defense lawyers of Fox Law Firm PLLC, in Riverhead, provide aggressive representation for New Yorkers accused of driving while intoxicated in Suffolk County and neighboring areas. We are former prosecutors who understand New York’s DWI laws and we’re here to minimize the impact these allegations could have on your life.
Watch Our DWI/DWAI Video
Understanding the charges you’re up against
In New York, there are several charges that deal with drunk or impaired driving:
- DWI — Driving while intoxicated can be charged when a driver has a blood alcohol content (BAC) of .08 percent (the legal limit of intoxication) or higher.
- DWAI — Driving while ability impaired is technically considered a traffic violation and not a crime, although the penalties can be similar. DWAI can be charged if your BAC is between .05 and .07 percent or there was evidence of impairment from drugs or alcohol.
- DWAI-Drug — This can be charged if you were driving under the influence of drugs, whether those drugs were illegal or not.
- Aggravated DWI — This more serious charge comes if your BAC was .18 percent or higher.
- Chemical test refusal — New York’s implied consent law means everyone who drives in our state has automatically given their consent to a breath test. If you refuse, you face an automatic license suspension of a year and a $500 fine.
- Underage DWI — Drivers under 21 can be cited for a BAC between .02 and .07 percent.
Don’t deny yourself a proper defense because you’re embarrassed or simply want to “get this over with.” The consequences are too serious. Let our Long Island DWI lawyers review the facts of your case and determine whether we can challenge the legality of the stop or the accuracy of the blood and breath test results.
Protect yourself against New York’s stiff DWI penalties
New York has some of the toughest and most complex DWI laws in the country. The penalties you face upon conviction depend on the circumstances of your arrest and whether you have been convicted of prior offenses:
- First-offense DWI or DWAI-Drug — Up to one year in jail, fines of $500 to $1,000, and driver license revoked for at least six months.
- Second DWI or DWAI-Drug in 10 years — Up to four years in jail, fines of $1,000 to $5,000, and driver license revoked for at least one year
- Aggravated DWI — Up to one year in jail, fines of $1,000 to $2,500, and driver license revoked for at least one year
- First DWAI — Up to 15 days in jail, fines of $300 to $500, and driver license suspended for 90 days
- Chemical test refusal — Fine of $500 and driver license revocation for one year
The right defense lawyer can make all the difference when you’re stopped for drunk or drugged driving in New York. You can count on us to assert your rights and seek the most favorable outcome under the circumstances to protect your ability to drive, work and care for your family.
Schedule a free consultation with a Long Island DWI defense lawyer today
If you’ve been arrested for DWI or DWAI in Suffolk County or elsewhere on Long Island, the attorneys of Fox Law Firm PLLC are ready to provide a diligent defense. Call 631-779-3400 or contact us online to arrange a free and confidential consultation with our lawyers. We can visit you in jail if necessary.